Newspapers and Journals
The Portuguese newspaper on the otherhand continued to publish in spite of competition from the English and vernacular press and decrease in readership. However, due to financial burden it was too difficult for the owners who were mostly well-to-do individuals to continue publication.
At the time of liberation there were five dailies in Goa, namely O Heraldo, Heraldo, A Vida, Diário de Noite and Diário de Goa. With the exception of A Vida and Diário de Goa, which were published from Margao, the other three were published from Panjim. It was Heraldo, established by Antonio Maria da Cunha, and was editor in 1961, Alvaro de Santa Rita Vaz, which first pulled down the shutters with the last issue dated 15th April 1962, N° 15.703. The paper had completed fifty-three years, and the first issue had appeared on 21st May 1908.
A Vida and Diário de Noite, the second an eveninger published till the year 1967. A Vida started in 1963 an English and Konkani supplement in order to increase the readership and arouse interest in the Konkani language. The Konkani supplement appeared on Sundays and carried a column entitled Aprenda o Concani (“ Learn Konkani ”). When the management of A Vida decided to cease the Portuguese edition, it started a Konkani paper called Divit which also closed down after a few years.
Diário de Noite established by the journalist Luis de Menezes, which started publication in 1919, wound up in December 1967. It had also started a page in English.
O Heraldo was the first private daily in Goa and in the year 2000 it will complete its centenary. The daily changed to full-fledged English edition from 10th October 1983. The paper was founded by Prof. Aleixo Clemente Messias Gomes and the first issue was dated 22nd January 1900. After liberation, the owners’ left for Portugal and Mr Antonio Caetano Fernandes, a city businessman, bought the newspaper. In order to improve the sale, the paper started with Konkani and English supplement which existed in the erstwhile regime and was the only paper that continued publication in Portuguese as late as 1983. The English edition under the old registration, retained the same name with “ o ” written on the extreme of the title i.e. o Herald o.
Diário de Goa, a daily was founded by Dr Alvaro Costa, from Margão who also was the editor. The first issue appeared on 1st February 1953 and it ceased to publish in A India Portuguesa a weekly, was started in 1850. It was the official party paper of the Partido Indiano. The person at the helm of the “ Partido ” was Jose Inácio de Loyola. In 1950, D. Leonor Loyola Furtado e Fernandes took over as director. After liberation it was renamed A India. The paper ceased publication in the 60s. In 1964, it was subject to press
censorship by the Government of Chief Minister D. Bandodkar, as the paper had inclination towards favoring the Portuguese.
A Vanguarda was published first on 25th November 1954, by Tipografia Economica de Mapusa, Bardez. It had two sections; the Portuguese managed by Carlos Pegado e Sousa and the Konkani by Prabhakar Tendulkar. It continues to be published till date, but in English and appears only on some occasions like Republic, Independence, and Liberation Day. The present editor is Mr Bonifacio Dias.
Porjecho Adar (Auxilio do Povo), weekly, started its publication on 1th January 1930 at Nova Goa. Its founding editor was Jose Batista Vaz, it was in Konkani and meant to mainly cater to the masses, had a small section in Portuguese, and meant for governmental information. The paper also promised to defend the cause of the downtrodden. It stopped publication when the owner died.
Vaurandecho Ixtt (Amigo dos Operários) started publication on 20th December 1933, as a bilingual weekly in Margão. The founder editor was Fr. Arsenio Lucio Fernandes. Most of the coverage is in Konkani and some articles in Portuguese. It continues to be published till date but only in Konkani at Pilar Convent.
A number of attempts were made by individuals to start newspapers or magazines in Portuguese. However, due to paucity of funds and lack of readers, the attempts were unsuccessful. These included A India Hoje, Era Nova, Ressurge Goa, Voz de Goa. There were also some magazines that had the same fate, like Harpa Goesa, O Globo, Revista da Academia e da Cultura e Língua Portuguesea.
It would be interesting to note that two of those who started the paper were freedom fighters and nationalists who vociferously fought against the colonial rulers. Dr Carmo Azevedo started A India Hoje, a weekly for the Portuguese speaking world in 1965. From May 1967, it became a monthly and gradually stopped. He also started another weekly, A Era Nova in 1969 and the first issue was dated 9th November. The editorial mentions that the aim of the weekly was to narrow the gap between the daily O Heraldo and the monthly O Globo. The weekly from 31st May 1970, became fortnightly and quickly stopped its publishing.
Dr Telo Mascarenhas was deported and jailed in Peniche, Portugal for long years for his anticolonial activities. During his years of exile in Bombay, he published clandestinely Ressurge Goa, a political newspaper from 1950 to 1959. On his return to Goa from Portugal in 1970, he restarted Ressurge Goa as a cultural and political paper. The first issue was dated 26th January 1972 and the last 30th December 1977. The paper was supposed to be fortnightly but later on, from January 1976, it became monthly. He aimed it to be an Orgão quinzenário do povo Goes in Portuguese, Konkani and English languages.
The last attempt was made by a group of individuals who were lusophones and decided to form an association and start a paper. The president was Dr Maximo Menezes and Dr Benicio Nunes, a physician by profession, and an ex-editor of O Heraldo, was the associate editor. They suitably named the paper A Voz de Goa (The Voice of Goa) and it’ s aim was to be Orgão de cultura e difusão da lingua Portuguesa. This paper was a weekly, which appeared on Thursdays, but unfortunately it too had to close down. The paper was published from 10th March 1983 to 5th April 1984.
A Luta was another weekly started by Dr Eduardo Dias, which lasted for a couple of years, even though it was published at irregular interval of time.
An interesting queer story is that of A Voz de Fontainhas, a paper that was published by Junot Fonseca. Having lived in the Bairro de Fidalgos as Fontainhas, as the Latin quarter of Panjim was known, he wished to name it A Voz de Fontainhas and he was keen that the paper would come to light on 25th December. By the time his request for registration was given approval by the Central Government, a number of years passed and his dream materialised on 25th December 1982. It was to be a weekly, but it only survived a couple of issues.
Victor Telles had started the publication of Segunda Feira (“ Monday ”) in 1983 and lasted but with irregular publication for two years.
Some of the old journals continued to publish in Portuguese or were later on bilingual, to finally become solely English. Renovação the church official publication continued in Portuguese till 1976, with Fr. Dr. Lucio da Veiga Coutinho as editor. Presently it is entitled Renewal. The Renovação which started in 1970 and was published by the Instituto Pastoral S.Pio X, at Old Goa, began as a supplement to the Boletim da Arquidiocese de Goa which had started publication in 1940, and ceased in 1971.
Harpa Goesa was the official publication of the Centro da Cultura Latina, and its editor Farm. Renato de Sá. Fourteen issues were published before it was discontinued, on his death.
O Globo edited by the journalist Antonio de Menezes, first came in July 1968 and stopped in October 1977. It was a monthly and from July 1972, it became Globo the only Portuguese-English monthly in India.
The Academia da Língua e Cultura portuguesa had its publication in the form of a biannual Revista (a journal). Twelve issues in six volumes were published from 1981 to 1985. The editor was Dr Miguel Caetano de Miranda and principal publisher Professor Carlos Xavier and it was devoted to publish articles on Portuguese language, culture and history.